Please understand that holiday trees become volatile soon after being placed in the home. The warm air and the fact that the tree is cut and dead accelerates the drying process. The limbs and needles contain oils that also increases the tree's ability to burn quickly. This combination makes the tree a significant fire threat in your home!
If possible, consider an artificial tree or have the tree treated with an approved flame proofing product at the tree lot. Or, follow these steps:
1. Keep the tree on the opposite side of the room from a warm air furnace register.
2. Do not place the tree in a room that contains a fireplace.
3. Use new, UL listed small size lights.
4. Plug a multi plug adapter with a circuit breaker into the wall. Plug the lights into the adapter.
5. Use a stand that holds water and check the water level daily.
6. Do not allow open flames, such as candles, anywhere near the tree.
7. Understand that regardless of what you do, the tree is becoming dryer each day.
8. Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are functioning properly.
9. Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
10. Remove the tree as soon as you can after the Holiday and recycle it.
Every year, there are devastating home fires caused by Holiday trees. Please be careful and follow the recommendations listed above. If you have questions, please give us a call.