Deep frying your holiday turkey has become a popular way to cook your bird. However, it is an extremely dangerous cooking method, unless you are really careful. First, note that the fryer unit for the pot is highly unstable and can tip over easily. If you have to fry your turkey, utilize the following safety points:
1. Place the fryer in an open area AWAY from all structures and on hard ground such as concrete or asphalt.
2. Turn the burner off before you drop the turkey in the pot. Then restart the burner.
3. Use extreme care around the burner and pot. Burns from hot oil can be serious, even fatal.
4. Have a 5 pound ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher close and ready to use.
5. Turn the burner off before removing the bird.
6. Keep all others away from the appliance while in operation.
7. Always fully defrost the turkey before frying.
8. Now, consider baking the bird in the oven. You'll be much safer!