Fair Housing and Home Improvement Assistance

Discrimination in housing is against the law and no person shall be discriminated against in the sale, rental or advertising of residential real estate transaction based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status and national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, source of income, disability, medical condition or age.

The Planning and Building Director is responsible to investigate and respond to discrimination complaints. Discrimination complaints will be referred to the Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California, the Marin Housing Authority, HUD, or the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, as appropriate.


Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California (FHANC) provides free housing discrimination counseling services, intervention, and complaint investigation to clients of all protected classes, including immigrants, people with disabilities, seniors, families with children, and other clients protected under fair housing law. Services include fair housing training for housing providers, tenants, and staff of social service agencies. FHANC sponsors a variety of programs to educate the community at large about fair housing issues. FHANC also offers information to housing providers about affirmative marketing. 

Marin Housing Authority (MHA) provides decent, safe, and sanitary housing for low- and moderate-income people. MHA administers the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, owns and manages Housing units through the Supportive Housing Department and the Below Market Rate (BMR) Home Ownership program.

Legal Aid of Marin provides high quality legal representation and advocacy, information, referral, advice, community education, and other assistance to low-income and senior residents of Marin County. Legal Aid of Marin seeks to assist Marin County’s most vulnerable residents, particularly with problems related to housing, employment, child dependency, domestic violence prevention, and debtor rights.

Mediation Services offers the public an alternative to court as a way of resolving disputes in a variety of areas. Professionally trained and experienced Mediators help to facilitate resolutions for parties in conflict.

Summer 2023 "Landlord News" from Marin Housing with information on new laws, Housing Choice Voucher (formerly known as "Section 8") program and Landlord Portal.

Reasonable Accommodation

Per Municipal Code Section 18.82, the City of Larkspur provides individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodation from the zoning regulations, practices, and procedures to ensure equal access to housing, and to facilitate the development of housing for individuals with disabilities.

City of Larkspur Application for Accommodation for People with Disabilities

Residential Rehabilitation Loan Program

Marin Housing's Residential Rehabilitation Loan Program provides low-interest property improvement loans and technical assistance to qualified very-low-income homeowners to make basic repairs and improvements, correct substandard conditions, and eliminate health and safety hazards. (415) 491-2525 TDD: (800) 735-2929 https://www.marinhousing.org/residential-rehabilitation-loan-program

Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program

The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) has a Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program (MRLPP). The Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) is the "landlord-tenant law" for mobilehome parks, which, like landlord-tenant law and other Civil Code provisions, is enforced in a court of law. The 2022 Mobilehome Residency Law Handbook includes MRL Civil Codes, frequently asked questions, and local community resources.

Who can submit an MRLPP complaint? Any mobilehome/manufactured homeowner that has tenancy in a mobilehome park.

What types of complaints can be submitted for consideration? Complaints for issues within mobilehome parks related to MRL violations (California Civil Code). Common violations include but are not limited to: 

  • illegal grounds for eviction
  • failure to provide proper notice of rent increases
  • no written rental agreement between the park and mobilehome/manufactured homeowner

How does a mobilehome/manufactured homeowner submit their complaint? Complaints must be submitted to HCD. HCD provides assistance to help resolve and coordinate resolution of the most severe alleged violations of the MRL. Visit the Submit a Complaint webpage for details on ways to submit your complaint to HCD.

Please note: HCD is prohibited from arbitrating, mediating, negotiating, or providing legal advice in connection with mobilehome park rent disputes, lease or rental agreements, or disputes arising from rental or lease agreements. 

Questions? Please contact the MRLPP at MRLComplaint@hcd.ca.gov or (800) 952-8356.