Piper Park is currently open for socially distanced recreation. Open facilities include restrooms, tennis courts (singles play only), dog park, picnic tables, and perimeter path. Play structures and athletic fields are currently closed. Please note, we are not taking reservations for picnic tables for the 2020 season. No Bounce Houses allowed this season.
These are amazing times to live in. Imagine how truly remote and cut-off we would all have been if this had happened 50-60-70 year ago. We would have been without readily accessible information, relying on television or radio to stay on top of the latest events. With the benefit of the internet, we can entertain our little (and not so little) ones, get health advice, order dinner in, reach out to loved ones, and (sparingly) get updates as events unfold. We can read a book, try a new recipe, get to know people in our personal orbit better, catch up on those little projects that we never seem to have enough time for, perhaps even learn a new instrument?
Please take a moment to read through “Virtual Larkspur Recreation” page below. There are excellent links and suggestions, and I’m particularly excited about the “Exercise your Brain” section. Please ensure that any and all suggestions contributed will be free of charge for users.
On behalf of our Larkspur Recreation Department staff and the people working throughout the City of Larkspur, please be kind. This event will conclude and we will resume our lives again.
-Dick Whitley, Larkspur Recreation Director
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Let us know and email us at email@example.com.
As our daily lives are filled with more indoor time, there are many ways to stay healthy and active.
Here are a few ideas for staying active indoors.
- Take a Virtual Fitness Class - There are plenty of free options online. Here are just a few:
- Do Yoga with Me - Free yoga videos
- Fitness Blender - Variety of free videos
- Nike Training Club - App filled with free fitness videos
For the Kids
- Fitness Blender for Kids - Free fitness videos
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Kid friendly videos
- 87 Energy - Busting Indoor Games & Activities
Did you know that the current Shelter in Place order allows for individuals to "engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with the Social Distancing Requirements... Such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking and running." (don’t forget your Social Distance rules!).
- Walk, run, or hike around your neighborhood and say hello (from a healthy 6-foot distance) to all of your neighbors who are getting outside too.
Visit these sites for the latest local information regarding COVID-19.
- Marin County Health & Human Services - This is the lead Agency in Marin County directing our community’s response to COVID-19.
- City of Larkspur - Visit the City’s dedicated page for up to date COVID-19 information.
- Corte Madera Virtual Rec - Check out even more great content and resources from our neighbors in Corte Madera.
- Instagram - The City of Larkspur’s Instagram account (@cityoflarkspur) will be posting up to date information about COVID-19.
- Centers for Disease Control - CDC’s COVID-19 website.
Visit these sites for information on food resources.
You can learn almost anything on the Internet now. We’ve got a list for you of some of the best places to find educational videos.
- Sundance Collab Master Classes - Sundance online Master Classes will let you delve into craft-based topics with top-level practitioners who are currently working in the film industry. All Master Classes are currently a free feature to help offset the impact of COVID 19.
- Sesame Street - Sesame Street’s Caring for Each Other page offers videos, educational games, and activity pages that you can print for your children!
Although we’re all social distancing physically, as humans we need to stay connected emotionally. Try one or two of these out every day.
- Call a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while to check-in.
- Write a letter.
- Support a local restaurant - Many restaurants are still open for carryout or delivery orders. Support your favorite eateries and order food for pick-up or try out DoorDash or UberEats and have it brought to you.
- Volunteer - There are many opportunities to volunteer to help those in our community. The San Francisco-Marin Food Bank is in need of extra help during this period of high demand. See how you can help by visiting the food bank’s website.
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep. Make time to unwind.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Work on Mindfulness - Mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
Exercise your Brain
- Visit Larkspur’s Virtual Library - The library has tons of free e-books and e-audiobooks ready for your enjoyment as well as online programs.
- Storyline Online - Listen to Children’s stories told by your favorite actors.
- Story Time from Space - Enjoy real-life astronauts reading your favorite stories to you from outer space!
For the Kids (or kids at heart)
- Hold a virtual playdate through Facetime.
- Love to color? Make these fun drawings your own! Frozen and Cosmic Cats
- Take a Virtual Vacation - Explore the work using Google Earth! Disneyland may be closed in real-life but not here! Use Street View to see places like you’re actually there.
- Mothercould shares easy play recipes, tips, advice, activities and experiences for kids.
- Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium through one of their many available live cams (the sea otters are a personal favorite).
- TinkerTech has great crafts and activities for the whole family!
- Visit one of many museums around that are open through their virtual tours. Right now until April 7th the Winchester Mystery House is offering a virtual tour! Check it out.
- Daily Doodle - Lessons by Mo Willems.
Arts and Craft Activities
Educational Resources, Including Local Schools